Data to Virtue

"Wisdom is to know what to do next; virtue is doing it." -- David Starr Jordan, American Naturalist -- Observation collects data from which we build knowledge. Wisdom makes sense of that knowledge. However, it is not enough to merely develop wisdom, we must act on what we know. That is virtue--and the purpose of this blog--from data to virtue.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Why "SoWhat" as a name?

Q: You sign your posts as "SoWhat", why? Isn't that insensitive?

A: Actually it's quite the opposite. My blog is "data to virtue," which means I hope to present more than just data about the world around us, but to ask the important question, "so what?" Maybe it's my Lutheran upbringing. In Luther's catechism he would present an important concept and ask "what does this mean?" That is the purpose of my blog. How can the facts help us to make a better world?

In other words, let's start with real data and work our way up Haeckel’s Hierarchy...

- Through observation we collect data.
- By contextualizing that data we build information.
- By interpreting that information we build intelligence.
- By testing that intelligence we built knowledge.
- By using that knowledge we become wise.

(Barabba and Zaltman, Harv. Bus. Sch. Press, 1991)

Wisdom is to know what to do next; virtue is doing it.
-- David Starr Jordan --

It is not enough to just know the facts about the world, it should motivate us to action. I will post data about what I consider important topics and my opinion of what it means (the "so what"). In some cases I will post suggests for action if you are passionate about that topic. In other cases I might not have any idea of how one can make a difference in that area. This is where I need your help, in connecting readers with resources where they can make a difference.

Let's make a better world together, that's ....

SoWhat

1 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps a lack of spine?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home